Monday, December 30, 2013

TREY C & PLAYA RAE "I.L.A.M. INDEPENDENT LIKE A M#FUKA Music Review


I was given a great opportunity by Monstaville CEO to review a band I have never done a review for before. I was pleasantly surprised by the work that was sent to me and the skill on the tracks.
I get tracks, demos, and songs sent to me all the time. Some are good, some are not so good. I try and review only the ones I really like as I am trying to keep the negativity out of my work and bring a positive support to Hip Hop today.
So when I received their EP and information I was hoping for the best, but maybe not expecting  it. I was greatly surprised at what I found. I.L.A.M is an amazing album that talks about the industry as seen from the eyes of the independent artists, underdogs, and those struggling to keep up their dreams and lives at the same time. The music was well done, well produced, and did not have that repetitive bar structure that so many artists will cling to as the protocol for music today. I love to hear something outside the rest with a taste and flavor all its own. 


The first song on the album is called Freedom. I felt this was appropriate with the theme of the EP as it was talking about living independently of large record labels and staying true to who you are.  I really enjoyed this song because it talked about the freedom of doing things on their own and how the music industry is now.
Lyrics I found interesting and refreshing on the album included,  “Don’t it feel like independence day, only every day, " and "You remain a slave to the industry game while we get paid on the stage.” When working with a major label you are not as free to make your own choices in music. This is why more and more artists are choosing to remain independent even if offered spots on record labels. This gives them the right to produce what they feel and not what is just popular at the time. 

The next song is called Independent grind. The song talks about the struggles and the freedom from being independent. It discusses that music is about being who your are, not able selling out all you can to get radio play. Some lyrics I found intriguing were, “Hands in the air for the independent grind," and "Fuck the industry, " which was first brought around by Tech N9nes Anghellic CD but everyone’s being feeling it since the industry came about. People are starting to decline the cooperate agenda of music labels and choose to make their own rules. Though the independent grind may be harder, the hard work is worth keeping yourself true to the end. 


The next song on the album, Lies, talks about how many artists in Hip Hop  today are faking who they are for fame. They play the part but do not live what Hip Hop is truly about. Some lyrics I found amusing were, "No Mug behind their words cause they’re jeans too tight." Part of me hopes this is a comment about Lil Wayne, cause man his pants are way to tight and someone needs to say it haha. Also "They might rock a shiny chain but they actually broke.” I see this so often in hip hop and I liked that they brought it out. So many people are going into debt and really trying to sell the imagine of Hip Hop lifestyle, so others don’t know they aren't making it big. I have always heard "fake it until you make it"..or people could be like the song says, be yourself, and you're more likely to appeal to the people. 


Next we have the song Stay. This song has a good message, but I didn't mark it as my favorite. I think the song would have been improved if the echo effect had been left out. I think a good melody in its place would have pushed that track above level without needing to fill that space. It takes away from the good message of the song. But all in all still a great song!

In our next track, Living Today, the group discusses how living a life of a star can be, the good and the bad and why it's important to live for today. Some of the lyrics I found humorous and fun were, “She’s telling me I’m one hell of a guy, must have told this chick one hell of a lie.” This line made me laugh. Rappers have a suaveness built into their DNA and after years of watching this while on the road with the guys, I couldn't help but remember those moments. 

Which brings us to another amazing track that really hit home. As a college drop out at 18 to emerge myself in music and partying at the time, I really felt Don’t Wanna go back. Most of us out there that work a day job to make ends meet and continue to fund our dreams can relate to this song and its message. Lyrics like, “ I didn't drop out of college cause I thought I was too cool, but I wish that I hadn't  cause I’m glued to this YouTube tutorial trying to learn how to tie a tie tight and make it online right and make it to this interview on time.

This line hits so many entertainers. School didn't teach most of the musicians I know the knowledge needed for their creativity and the way their minds worked. Most of the time they seemed distracted and there was no one there to fuel their fire. So they would drop off and then struggle to bring in the bread while pursuing the dream.  Crazy life when your balling at night  and answering the customer service calls during the day. This track would be my favorite of the album.

Our last album on the track talks about how life changes after you start to change with your music. We evolve and we grow, new friends come and old friends may go. This track is called Damn Thang. A few of the lyrics that stood out to me where,  “Some of my old enemies are now friends with me,” and “People see it for the glitz and glamour, think your puffing purple kush when your really smoking bammer.”
But the lyric that stands out the most is one that most of us can relate to. “Lost a lot of friends and that’s a damn shame, but honestly I wouldn't change a damn thing.”

This album stayed in my CD player for days as I contemplated it and really immersed myself in it. I truly like this album and I'm giving it a 4 out of 5 stars, cause we all have room to grow don't ya know? Keep pushing your dreams and keep righting those songs from the heart, and you can stay Independent like a M#fuka for life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment