Saturday, September 8, 2012

Don't Assume you Know Kutt Calhoun-from the Green Room

Many people may think they know all there is to know about Kutt Calhoun, but don't presume you know anything about this talented artist till after you read this. Kutt Calhoun sat down with me before the Taking 'Em Back To School show in Salem, OR on 9/6/12 and gave me some insight into who he is as an artist, a man, and a performer. 

The crowd was anxious in anticipation of this event, lining up outside hours before the doors were to open. I couldn't wait to get off work and head to Salem to see what was in store for us that night. We had worked so hard on promotions and I knew the event would be worth the drive (an hour each way, by the way). I caught a ride with some good friends and we headed out to the event. When Kutt arrived, Tragedy and I whisked him away to a private room were he could relax and prepare for the nights show. But before I could let him start to prepare, I had to ask for an interview, being we all have so many questions that needed to be answered. Kutt Calhoun is an artist, that I believe, is way underestimated on Strange Music's label. The talent that Kutt Calhoun emanates from his person, his lyrics, and the mesmorizing way he brings forth his message in his songs,  makes him a talent that will not be lost in the side lines of the many other talented acts on his label. Kutt stands out in a way that demands attention and will not be left wanting. 

When I sat down with Kutt, I will admi,t I was a bit nervous. I have done one on one interviews with many members of Strange Music (Big Krizz, Big Scoob, Irv Da Phenom, Tech) while working for the Strange Music blogs, but I have never done an interview with Kutty. I wasn't sure what to expect. Kutty, being the handsome lady killer he is, just oozes a kind of sex appeal and style that could make the most hard core business women ( like me) blush and stumble on her words. I found Kutty to be very kind and easy to talk to and the interview that he gave left me feeling like there is another side of Kutty most don't get to tap into, as is true with most artists, and I hope I can give you a glimpse of that tonight. 

One of the first things I asked Kutty, was what was the inspiration for his new EP Kelvin. Its been 2 years since the last release of Raw and Unkutt and we have all been waiting to see what Kutt had to offer us next. Kutt said to me " I think I had to prove something, to myself. I (wanted to prove) I didn't have to depend on songs like "Callin My Name" to get notoriety from my fans." People were going to like him or not, so Kutt said "I'm just gonn do Kutt and to squash the rumors that I had left Strange Music or had a falling out or anything like that." Kutt said he was going to do something that was just what he wanted to do no matter what anyone else thought of it and was coming back tenfold. 

I asked Kutty, "What influenced you to do music?" Kutt got a grin on his face like most artist do when I ask this question. With most artists its something that is deep down in their being and the question was never what made them do it, but what brought it out of them at the right time. Kutt said "It just kind of happened. I was in the right place at the right time. I was hanging around people  years ago who were rapping and free styling. So I went home and I decided to write my own rap to the best of my ability and what I thought was good. I took it to them and they loved it. They said I had a lot of talent. I remember listening to artists when I was a kid like Spice 1, NWA, and Too Short and rapping along with them (on the radio)." I asked Kutt then , "Well, what made you go with Strange Music?" Kutt said, "I was again in the right place at the right time." He said that he was in the studio recording some music and the producer happen to have been in a group with Tech N9ne and that Tech recorded at that studio. The producer liked what Kutt was doing and Tech was quite the big time around the area, at that time. Everyone was really into him. "So I got him on a song on my album for free and Tech liked what he heard and it just went from there." Well I can say I am so glad he was in that studio at the right time. I think the dynamic from Tech and Kutty is one that is unmatched in many groups that are touring at this time. The energy that they give while on stage and the way they feed off each others energy brings a whole new level to their tours that pack the house night after night. 

I am always curious to know what songs and albums are the artists favorite. I usually know what ones are the fans favorites by reaction when the song plays at the show, at a party, or buzz online, but what do the artists think about their own songs? Which ones do they like the best? So I asked Kutty, "What was your favorite album to make?" He seemed excited to hear that question and maybe no one has ever asked him. He thought for a moment and said, " B.L.E.V.E. would have to be my favorite album. It was my first and I was so excited to be doing it. It was like the being a virgin. You never forget your first or the best sex you have ever had, you just don't forget it. B.L.E.V.E. was like my de-virginizing." I believe all Kutty's albums have there own reason for being great, and I have my fan favorite of course (Feature Presentation), but nothing will ever replace the feeling an artist gets with their first. The ability to finally put their thoughts and their ideas from their paper to the CD and share it with everyone. It's gotta be like having your first child and watching it grow up and mature into an amazing musical career. 

So then I asked Kutty, "What are your favorite songs to perform live?" Kutty smiled and thought again for a moment. If anyone has a million dollar smile, it would have to be that man. You can see such happiness in his face and realize that he really enjoys what he does and that each song must have a place in his heart for different reasons. Kutty said, " Well it would have to be a three way tie between Bunk Rock Bitch, Smiling Faces, and Colors." I was happy to hear that because those are two of my own favorite songs. Bunk Rock Bitch was one song I really enjoyed after years of seeing girls back stage do just what the song describes. I love smiling faces, like most of America does, because the song really gets to the heart of how people treat each other anymore. How people will smile at you while the rob you blind, stab you in the back, and sign your death certificate. I think today that most people know you can't trust anyone anymore, not even your family or your friends. We all have to watch our backs and the world has become very much, " I gotta get mine no matter what it does to you." I feel that song, as I listen to it now, really explains how no one really knows what is underneath that person's smile except that person. 

Well Kutty, what do you have planned for the future for us? We are all fans and feel that you have so far to go. What does the future hold? Kutty said, " Well I plan to put out more albums. I want to reach a success level to MY standards and I want to be the CEO of my own label. I want to A&R other talent and help them to be successful and grow in the industry." We all look forward to more albums, as Kutty gets better with each release and shows a level of lyrical genius that is hard to top. With so many songs out there that talk about nothing in general, its a breath of fresh air to hear Kutty slip in so much music that speaks to much more then just money and sex, but also to how we should view the world and open our eyes. 

Soon after, Kutty hit the stage and put on a show that was amazing, full of new music, and lyrically superior to  many acts I have seen in the last few months. He was decked out in a lot of blue. Tragedy asked Kutty, " How can you get away with wearing so much blue?" Kutty replied, " It's okay to wear blue, if you outline it in all red."  We all shared a good laugh. 

Kutty presented many new songs from his upcoming EP, he wooed the chicks and even gave everyone a show that will never be forgotten, but if you weren't there, then you will never know. Kutt even performed my favorite, Colors, while dancing to the Michael Jackson beat in the background. That is always my favorite part of the show. Few artists are quite as talented in the art of dancing as Kutty.  Kutt Calhoun even gave us a snip-it of information on the new EP. Contrary to popular belief, Kelvin is not short for Kutt  + Melvin, but is a gauge of temperature. The night ended on a good note and fans were able to get pictures and autographs from Kutty. Then off they went to Spokane to rock another great show for an amazing crowd.  Kutty, thank you for the interview and I hope you enjoy reading this some day. We at Bullette Music will always be a fan and our readers feel the same, K U T T Y ain't nothing to fuck with. 


No comments:

Post a Comment